- 1 (12-oz.) can low-sodium Spam® (regular works, too)
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce (choose a thinner variety)
- 5 sheets sushi nori, cut into 1- to 2- inch strips
- 5 cups cooked short-grain sushi rice
Cut Spam® into 1/4-inch slices. Fry in a pan until brown and crisp on each side. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Remove fat from pan and add teriyaki sauce. Heat until just below simmer and add Spam to warm sauce. Simmer one minute and set aside.
In a mold (see below*), add a 1-inch layer of rice and press down well. Then add Spam® and press firmly and evenly. Remove from mold and wrap a strip of nori around the middle, using water at the end to help it seal.
* You can use a musubi mold or a sushi block or make your own mold using the Spam® can (simply line the inside with plastic wrap). The sushi block mold allows you to make this even more pressed and tight.
Try layering wasabi flavored furikake (a dried Japanese seasoning) between the rice and Spam® for a crunchy layer of flavor!