- 1 pound whole-wheat rotini pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can pumpkin
- 3 cups chopped spinach or kale
- 1/2 cup chopped basil leaves
- 4 ounces mascarpone or cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta per package instructions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add onion and olive oil and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add tomatoes and pumpkin and simmer until flavorful, about 10 minutes. Wilt spinach leaves into sauce. Stir in mascarpone cheese until melted and incorporated. Season the dish with salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer cooked pasta to sauce adding some of the pasta water if sauce appears to be too thick. With the heat off, add half of the basil leaves and Parmesan.
Transfer to serving bowl or plates. Garnish with remaining basil and Parmesan.
Also try adding Our Own Italian Sausage!