- 2 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into large chunks
- 5 large shallots, diced
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and finely shredded
- 1 pound baked or smoked salmon, flaked into bite-size pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place potatoes in a large pot and cover by a few inches with water. Season well with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and cook for about 15 minutes, or until just fork-tender. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, combine shallots and 1/4 cup of butter in a large skillet and cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until shallots are soft and golden brown. Add the kale and sauté another 2-3 min.
While shallots and kale are cooking, roughly smash (but do not completely mash) potatoes. Add the potatoes and remaining butter to the skillet, increase heat to medium-high and sauté 1-2 minutes. Add salmon and stir gently until salmon is warmed through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
For creamier potatoes, add a splash of whole milk or cream.