- 1/2 pound hot sausage links, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 6 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning or chili powder
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large, high-sided sauté pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausages and brown well. (If sausages are lean, add a little olive oil to pan.) Remove from pan and set aside.
Return pan to heat and add onions, green peppers and garlic. Sauté until lightly browned, adding olive oil if necessary.
Add ham; sauté 5 minutes. Add browned sausages, tomatoes, chicken broth, rice, bay leaf, thyme and Cajun seasoning.
Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes, or until rice is just tender.
Add shrimp, wine and parsley. Continue cooking until shrimp is cooked through. Adjust seasoning and serve.