- 1 pound bulk chorizo sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 small sweet potato or yam, peeled and diced, or 2 cups peeled and diced winter squash
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup beef broth or water
- 1 tablespoon grated bittersweet dark chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Brown chorizo in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Remove from pan and set aside.
Drain all but 2 tablespoons fat from pan and add onions. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
Make a well in center and add chili powder, cumin and cinnamon. Cook for 2 minutes, until fragrant.
Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes.
This dish can be made one day ahead.