- 4 pita breads or flatbreads, cut or torn into bite size pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head romaine or butter lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 English or 4 Persian cucumbers, thick sliced or cubed
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4-6 radishes, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (flat or curly leaf)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice 1-2 garlic cloves, mashed or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac, divided (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (optional)
Toss bread pieces in olive oil. Toast in batches in a large skillet over medium heat until lightly browned and crispy on the edges. Remove to a paper towel and season with sea salt. In a large bowl, combine lettuce, cucumbers, onion, tomatoes, radishes and herbs. Toss gently.
Combine 1/3 cup olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, sea salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon sumac. Mix well or shake to lightly emulsify. Adjust seasoning to taste. Just before serving, add pita bread and dressing to salad and toss. Garnish with the remaining sumac and a thick drizzle of pomegranate molasses (if desired).
Optional: Add 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, 1 can of drained chickpeas, or 1/2 cup kalamata olives. This salad is also great for using up leftover grilled meats, shrimp or veggies.