- 1 cup emmer farro
- 2 cups peeled, diced winter squash
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh spinach, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Balsamic glaze (optional)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of one orange (about 1/3 cup)
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Rinse farro and place in a sauce pan. Add enough water to cover farro by about two inches; season with salt. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook 45 minutes, or until farro is tender. Drain off excess liquid.
While farro cooks, lightly coat squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until tender.
Combine warm farro with squash, spinach, cranberries and sage. Whisk together olive oil and orange juice and zest and pour over pilaf. If desired, drizzle with balsamic glaze.
This is a delicious side-dish for roasted turkey, chicken or fish.