- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more to cook cakes
- 1/2 cup each chopped onion and red pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons of your favorite no-salt spice or herb blend
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained (reserve 1/4 cup of the liquid)
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1 tablespoon nutritional or brewer’s yeast (available in Bulk Foods)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup potato flakes or panko breadcrumbs
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and peppers, cook for five minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute. Add spice blend and cook for one minute. Set aside to cool.
Add vegetables and remaining ingredients (except potato flakes or panko and reserved liquid) to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine completely. Add the liquid one tablespoon at a time if mix is dry. It should be a little chunky.
Empty the mix into a bowl and stir in the potato flakes or panko. Don’t over mix.
Chill for 30 minutes. Form into cakes and pan-fry in olive oil over medium heat 4-6 minutes per side.
Serve with Kozlik’s® Triple Crunch Mustard Aioli, Avocado cream (separate recipes) or your favorite condiment.