- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground ancho and chipotle pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups unsweetened cherry juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4-1/3 cup heavy cream
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add shallot and sweat it for about 8 minutes or until tender but not brown. Add garlic, ground peppers, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, or until spices are fragrant and garlic tender. Add juice and sugar and simmer for about 45 minutes or until reduced to 3/4-1 cup depending on desired consistency (it should be like syrup). Remove from heat and cool slightly. Place in a blender with the cream and puree until smooth.
This sauce is excellent served on salmon.