- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, minced (about 8-10 big cloves)
- 3 inches fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup short-grain white rice
Garnishes: Thin sliced green onion, crisp-fried garlic, sliced hard-boiled egg, fish sauce and lemon juice.
Heat stock pot over medium heat and add vegetable oil. Add onion, garlic and ginger; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant and translucent. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink.
Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add rice and simmer until rice is cooked, about 30-40 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Before serving remove ginger and add garnishes. If desired, thin with a bit of chicken stock or water.