- 2/3 cup toasted whole almonds (try smoked almonds or even toasted hazelnuts)
- 1 cup cubed stale or toasted bread
- A few sprigs parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup piquillo peppers (from a jar), drained (or roasted red peppers)
- 1/4 cup sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pimentón de la Vera (smoked paprika)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a food processor, coarsely chop almonds, bread, parsley and garlic.
Add tomatoes, peppers, vinegar and pimentón and pulse until incorporated.
Add olive oil and pulse until combined and mixture is nearly smooth.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
If sauce is too thick, add a small amount of water or juice from tomatoes.