- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 3/4 pound red or Yukon Gold potatoes, diced in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups water
Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add onion, ginger and spices.
Stir frequently for 3-4 minutes, or until lightly browned and spices are fragrant.
Add remaining ingredients.
Season with salt.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are almost tender.
Increase heat slightly until potatoes are tender and sauce has thickened, about 5-10 minutes longer.
Adjust seasoning to taste.
Serve hot over steamed basmati rice or with naan bread.