- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese (or Gouda, provolone or Swiss cheese)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed soup pot.
Add onion and season lightly with salt. Sauté until tender.
Add tomatoes, water, pepper and sugar. Season to taste with salt. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat and simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cheese and cream. Remove from heat and stir until cheese melts.