- 1 (3-pound) corned beef brisket, rinsed
- 12-24 ounces dark beer (enough to measure 1/4 inch deep in the bottom of pan)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 4 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1/2 small green cabbage, cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oven to 300°F.
Pour beer into a baking dish to 1/4-inch depth. Place corned beef in the pan with spices. Cover and bake two hours.
Meanwhile, toss potatoes, carrots and onion in a separate small baking dish with a light drizzle of oil. Season with salt, pepper. When the corned beef has baked for two hours, add vegetables to oven.
Bake about an hour, stirring vegetables occasionally. When the vegetables are almost done, toss in cabbage and roast until just wilted. Corned beef is done when a knife slides in and out easily.
Serve hot with your favorite whole-grain mustard.