- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium russet potato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups fresh corn, cut from cob (or substitute frozen corn, thawed), divided
- 1 pound skinless salmon fillet or smoked salmon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat and lightly coat with olive oil. Add onion, carrot and garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally for about 7-10 minutes, or until vegetables are just tender.
Add bay leaf, broth and potato. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, puree milk and 1 cup corn in a blender. When potatoes are done, add milk-corn puree, remaining corn and salmon.
Simmer until salmon is cooked through. Stir in dill, discard bay leaf and adjust seasoning to taste.