- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 slices bacon or pancetta, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil and/or Italian parsley
- 8 ounces pasta of choice (like bucatini, linguine or penne)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Put a large saucepan of water on high and hold until time to cook the pasta.
In the meantime, add olive oil, onion and bacon or pancetta to a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook for five minutes until onion is wilted and bacon or pancetta brown. Add wine and stir until liquid evaporates. Set aside, but keep warm.
In a separate bowl, beat cream, eggs, cheese, garlic and basil.
Cook pasta in the boiling water according to package directions, until al dente. Drain. Put pasta immediately into the skillet and add egg mixture, tossing or stirring to allow egg mixture to lightly cook in pasta heat. Toss well to evenly incorporate all ingredients in the skillet. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately, garnished with additional basil or parsley and cheese.
Warning: Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness.