- 1 onion, divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup tamarind concentrate, undiluted
- 1/4 cup ketjap manis (Indonesian ketchup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sambal olek, or to taste
- 1/3 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken, pork, lamb or beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
In a food processor, combine 1/2 of onion and all of the garlic, tamarind sauce, ketjap manis and sambal olek. Process until smooth.
Add coconut and sesame oil and pulse several times.
Place meat and sauce in a large bowl and toss to coat well.
Marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Cut remaining 1/2 of onion into large chunks.
Thread on pre-soaked skewers with meat.
Grill over or broil under high heat for 2 minutes per side, until slightly charred and cooked through.
Serve with peanut sauce.