- 4 pounds chicken or turkey carcass (bones), skin removed
- 4 quarts cold water
- 1 yellow onion, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 whole cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole black peppercorns
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 slice lemon
Place carcass and all other ingredients in a stockpot. Slowly bring to a gentle boil. Skim surface of water as foam rises to top.
Cook at a slight simmer, with lid ajar, for 2 hours.
Remove pot from heat. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to remove pieces of chicken/turkey.
Strain stock and pour into quart-sized containers. Cool, uncovered, in refrigerator. Skim off any fat that accumulates on top.
Cover tightly with a lid or plastic wrap. Stock will keep in refrigerator for three days, and may be frozen for up to six months for later use.