- 1 pound elbow macaroni (or your favorite pasta)
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 2 cups (about 2/3 pound) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1½ cups (about 1/2 pound) gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cook macaroni according to package instructions. When macaroni is cooked but still firm, drain and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, sour cream and eggs. Stir in garlic and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Fold in cheese, add macaroni and stir to coat well. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a buttered 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parsley and remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Season lightly with salt and pepper and spread over top of macaroni.
Bake at 350°F 40-45 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
Mix it up! Try mixing in any of the following: Peas, broccoli, spinach (cooked), sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, roasted garlic, artichoke hearts, crispy bacon, diced ham or prosciutto. Try blue cheese or gouda instead of cheddar. If substituting cheeses, use at least one good melting cheese, such as fontina, mozzarella or Monterey Jack.