- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced potato
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 1/2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- Chopped fresh parsley
Heat oil in a large, heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Add beef and cook until brown, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Add onion, carrot, celery, potatoes, garlic and herbs. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes with juices and all remaining ingredients except parsley.
Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
Remove bay leaves, Adjust seasoning to taste.
Sprinkle soup with parsley and serve.