- 1 pound halibut, skinned
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne or to taste
- 2 cups panko, divided
- Butter and olive oil
Cut halibut into 1-inch chunks and place in food processor. Pulse 6-8 times or until coarsely ground.
In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except panko.
Add halibut and stir to combine.
Add 1/2 cup of panko and stir to combine.
Form mixture into 6 patties. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Put the remaining panko on a plate and coat each burger on both sides.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Pan-fry fish in batches for 3-4 minutes per side, adding more butter and oil as needed until crisp and brown.
Serve on toasted buns with lettuce, tomato and tartar sauce.
This recipe is also great with salmon.