- Vegetable oil
- 6 large cloves garlic, quartered
- 1 (4-6 pound) pork shoulder roast
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sake
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bunch green onions, cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 1 (2-2 1/2 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled, sliced
- 1-3 whole dried red chili peppers (to taste)
In a large sauté pan, heat 2-3 tablespoons oil.
Add garlic. When garlic just starts to brown, remove with a slotted spoon and place in crockpot.
Return pan to heat and add pork roast. Brown on all sides.
While roast browns, combine remaining ingredients in crockpot.
Add pork roast.
Cook on low for 8 hours, or until falling-apart tender.
Serve alone or over rice.
This dish also makes a great filling for sandwiches.